Sunday, March 31, 2013

Simple Coleslaw dressing


Hubs and I are feeling the funk of the crazy winter like weather that has been going on lately. We were so looking forward to the beautiful warmer springtime atmosphere and all that comes with it: working/playing outside, opening the windows in the little farmhouse, and the lighter menu items that almost all call for something grilled.

Well, albeit a bitter 40 degrees out (that’s cold for us southerners!) Hubs bundled up and fired up the grill to satisfy our craving for some grilled tilapia to go in our fish tacos. While Hubs was enjoying being master of the grill, I was in the kitchen whipping up some homemade sauces:  Coleslaw dressing for our broccoli slaw and tartar sauce for the fish tacos.

I absolutely love coleslaw. It smells so heavenly and sounds beautifully crunchy when eating it. Sad thing though….I cannot consume it. I have a weird aversion to cabbage that makes me deathly ill when I eat even the tiniest bit. Well, broccoli slaw is my saving grace. I can have the wonderful tastes and crunch of regular slaw without the awful belly ache. Since Hubs and I are still doing wonders with our homemade foods I opted for the made from scratch coleslaw dressing rather than the $3.00 store bought kind. I did however purchase a pre-packaged, pre-cut mix of broccoli and carrot slaw that did not have any cabbage in it. (12 oz).
 

I did a quick search and found a base recipe here:


With that, I added a few spins to it based on mother and mother-in-law input.

 

Here is my version of Coleslaw Dressing:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon white vinegar

1 tablespoon milk

1/2 teaspoon celery salt (you could break this up into regular salt and celery seed)

1/8 teaspoon ground (dry) mustard

Pepper to taste

 

Combine all ingredients well. Pour over 12-16 oz of slaw mix.

 

And if you are looking for a quick and yummy Tartar Sauce recipe here is my recipe

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoons relish (I use sweet)

1 tablespoon finely chopped Green onion

1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper

 

Hope you all enjoy these recipes as much as we did! Now it’s back to wishing for warmer weather so we can enjoy these meals out on the patio.

Happy “Spring” Y’all!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment