Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tick Tock Redo!

The crafting muses are hitting me left and right! While still going about with my challenge to give the house a new look without breaking the bank, I have been looking at every decoration in the house with a new purpose. I look at something and ask my favorite question: “I wonder if I could paint this or fix it up to match the new décor?” Well, today the mantel clock was the focus of my crafting energy.
This little clock sits atop our entertainment center since we don’t have a mantel (or fire place for that matter.) We purchased it from Target many years ago. And while I never thought it to be boring or out of place with the previous décor, I have a whole new love for the clock now as it brightens up our little farmhouse living room with its new look.

It was super easy to do: sand it down a little to get the factory sheen off, throw on a few coats of paint, sand it again and then glue a fancy cabinet door handle on the top.
I had the handle already. Funnily enough, this handle was on the doors at the bottom of the entertainment center before we changed them out with some decorative ones we liked better that we found at a thrift store.  

Wasn’t that easy! And I kept in my cost parameters: $0.00!


Well, I am back to my kiddo and scoping out the house for more fun projects.

Happy crafting y’all!
Pin It

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

House decor makeover: give your current decor items a makeover...for free!

The transformation here at the little farm house is continuing! I have challenged myself to use what we have on hand before buying anything, including craft supplies. First up was finding things around the house that with a little fixing up would fit the new décor.  

I decided to paint our knife block with one of our accent colors….lime green.


It turned out fabulous. The knife block was black and I used flat paint to help give it a little distressed look without all the sanding. Using flat paint makes each brush stroke stand out too. But not to worry, it was the look I was going for. I attempted to take off a plaque that was affixed to the front….it wouldn’t budge… so I coated it with paint and put a vinyl scrapbook sticker on it. I think it gave it a nice little something extra.
This led me to give an old wooden (well, technically resin made to look like wood) owl a redo too. Again I used flat paint so it would show the brush strokes and keep it looking  more like a painted "wooden" owl. I wasn’t particular about getting every little crevice painted, letting some of the original paintwork show through to aid in the distressed look.


So, total cost of these two projects: $0.00 because I only used stuff I had on hand.

Well, that’s about it for now….. I’m back on the hunt to find more stuff to fix up!


God Bless!
Pin It