Saturday, September 29, 2012

Homemade Onion Soup Mix


 
French onion dip is one of my weaknesses. Especially if it is the kind made using Lipton's Onion soup mix. Well, Pinterest you have catered to my desires once again. And I am opened up to the numerous "new" ways to use Lipton's onion soup mix. But, like the ranch packets, its cost has sky rocketed as its popularity has come back around. So, with a little research, I came across numerous recipes for homemade onion soup mix. Honestly, when I first read what the main ingredient was other than dried onion flakes I was shocked. Beef Bouillon? Surely not... I never would have guessed! Honestly! But it's in there and you wouldn't know it unless told otherwise and even then, your brain will tell your mouth it's a lie.

Our store was out of bullion powder so I got bouillon cubes instead. They worked just as well but it was a hassle unwrapping them all and crushing them. And my food processor screamed at me for attempting to grind them. (One cube was a little more solid than the others and got stuck under the blade). Hubs didn't seem to mind smashing them up with the rolling pin for me though.

Here is the original link and recipe:



1/3 cup plus 2 tsp. dry minced onion

8 beef bouillon cubes or 8 tsp.

2 tsp. onion powder

1/2 tsp. celery salt or crushed celery seed
 
This will make about 18 tablespoons.

 

5 Tablespoons of this mix = 1 pre-packaged mix

 

Mix 5 Tablespoons with 4 cups water for soup.

Mix 5 Tablespoons with 16 ounces of sour cream for dip.

Add 5 Tablespoons to your water when cooking a roast.

Add 5 Tablespoons to your beef stew

 

I made some dip with the mix today and was in heaven. I may just try a spoonful in my next batch of vegetable soup.

And I definitely I can't wait to try this in my mom's cheese ball recipe this Christmas. (Don't fret..I'll share it come Christmas time)

 

 

Happy Fall Y’all
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment